Several Xcelsius users who have tried to use add-on components have reported that Xcelsius crashes when accessing the add-on manager. As it turns out, it is Windows Vista’s User Account Control that causes the crash. UAC is the first feature I naturally turn off when ever I image a new machine with Vista so I had never experienced this issue. In turning off UAC, you allow Xcelsius to execute and install add-ins.
Here are the steps to disable this Vista feature:
- Launch MSCONFIG by from the Run menu.
- Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find “Disable UAC”. Click on that line.
- Press the Launch button.
- A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.
- Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.
- Next time you open Xcelsius, you can install your add-ins.
If you are running 64 bit windows operating systems, the Add-on manager crash is a logged bug with BOBJ and hopefully will be fixed in the next Xcelsius release.